The first week of class we talked about all of the projects we will be doing this semester and we went into a little more detail of what this project was going to consist of, immediately the idea of creating ‘planets” with ‘worlds’ coming out of them came to mind, and a couple of other ideas and I jotted them down. Then started the sketching process.
During the first week of this project, I completely freaked myself out and changed my idea to ‘whats in my purse’ and I sketched those icons out.
After debating and going back and forth with what I wanted to do I talked with my husband who isn’t in anyway creative or artistic, my friends who are artists then I finally talked to my brother who we normally bounce ideas off each other. I finally went on illustrator and just messed around with shapes and decided to stick with my original idea. This is what my first six icons looked like:
After having the in-class critic, I made a list of the technical things that I need to do fix, add and subtract from the original six. I then made an appointment to meet with Brother Kerr and he helped me see that the fixes weren’t as hard as I was making them out to be and I brainstormed how to add more depth to the icons while keeping them still simple. These are the changes I made for the ‘world’:
After I finally figured out my base shape I picked the shades of colors that I wanted each one of them to be and what I wanted to put inside each of the ‘worlds’. Below is the final with all twelve of my icons. that all follow a set of rules to make them uniform and look like a set that would belong together. These icons are unified due to them all having the same outline shape.
Below is the final with all twelve of my icons. That all follow a set of rules to make them uniform and look like a set that would belong together. These icons are unified due to them all having the same outline shape, and the themes of each world go into two different topics which are the outdoors and buildings.