With each new grandchild that joined our family my mom just had to get the latest, cutest stickers for them which quickly dubbed her the sticker grandma. I waited with much anticipation to start this project and wanted to do something fun and whimsical that children would be drawn too. Kids like ice cream, cookies and cupcakes with lots of…you guessed it…sprinkles! That gave me the idea of creating stickers of the Sprinkle family.
My sketches gave me lots of ideas for different Sprinkle people as well as having them live in various houses made up of the things Sprinkles go on. So, I started sketching out different yummy things to eat. I had no idea the work it was going to entail but I jumped right in.
Here are a few of the various parts of the stickers. To the door I added a gradient to make it look like there was light coming from inside the house.
The ice cream cone was by far the most challenging. I began by creating a pattern of an individual section of the cone. From that I created a pattern brush and came up with a sheet of the texture. I masked that onto the shape of the cone and then used the warped mesh to wrap it snuggly around the cone.
I decided I wanted a realistic look so I took the pattern and gave it a slight Gaussian blur. I was amazed how much it slowed down Adobe Illustrator. I liked the look so I was willing to take the long wait time for such a nice effect.
The ice cream cone top was another challenge. I used a texture in Adobe Illustrator to create the different areas of the ice cream to give it depth and texture. I changed each individual area so it would have that fresh scooped look right from the ice cream store.
The cupcake liner was extremely hard. I had to layer it many times to get it dark enough because I used a transparency to show depth with the creases of the paper. Getting the frosting to show depth was equally as challenging. I layered colors and copy and pasted in front and back, then used the shape builder to create the final look.
The cookie was the easiest which I think I needed after the complexity of the other two stickers. Then I finally combined them all together and created simple Sprinkle people to create scene. If you look very closely you can find them. Some of them are even hiding behind letters.
Printing the stickers was a new experience for me. The files had to be combined and copied to get enough of them for a 52 x 6-inch sheet of vinyl. Each one also needed to have a contour cut line put around them so the cutting machine would know where to cut the vinyl. I got to go see them printed and cut which is quite a process. I must admit, they turned out better than I expected, which was a nice surprise. Technology is such a wonderful thing. I’m getting hungry…I think I’ll go hunt down a cupcake.
Latest posts by Judy Taylor (see all)
- The Sprinkles - April 7, 2017
- Dark Render – Ignore White - April 7, 2017
- Avenging Halftones – The Case of the Dense Rectangles - November 8, 2016