When given the task of creating a gig poster, I first decided on the name of a fictitious band to create the poster for: The Saskatunes, a very relaxed, indie folk-type band. This is a name devised by me and some friends I worked at scout camp with, which set the direction for the entire rest of the project. Based on that initial idea, I wanted to incorporate a very natural, backcountry-type style. Another stylistic decision I made at the very beginning was that I wanted to try making the entire thing without any curves, using only the pen tool as much as possible.
I began by creating a mind map, and uncovered a lot of ideas relating to nature, wildlife, and scouting in general. From there, I began drawing some sketches, and got a very clear and specific mental image of a moose centaur, with a friend from camp named Thomas Ryan as the top half, clad in his scout uniform. I explored this and some similar images in my sketches, making sure to include some other concepts to see if I preferred any of them better. In the end, I decided to stick with the moose centaur, standing atop a mountain ridge.
My first draft was still missing a few elements, particularly the text. I wanted to incorporate it in a way that felt purposeful and integral to the design, rather than something I threw on top at the end. I used highlight and shadow to make the DTP information look as though it had been carved into the rock. I had a harder time with the band name at first, and it was basically just floating in space. I replaced it with a cloud bank, and incorporated the text to look like shadows in the clouds. It was also suggested that I scale up the entire image, to make the centaur a more prominent figure in the composition.
This was a very fun and unique project to work on, since a big part of our initial direction was to focus not so much on communicating precise messages or concepts, but rather to communicate more of the emotional appeal of the band. I feel like I did a pretty good job of that, as well as meeting my objective of using no curves. It was fun to work within those constraints, and I really enjoyed the creativity involved.