I created an icon set that I wanted to have many similarities and a cohesive feel to them. I decided on dresses and the process flowed from there. I knew that I wanted them to have a similar color scheme, be very feminine, yet unique in their design. This was in my mind as I was sketching the icons. I did not know for sure I wanted to make them all in same genre or all over the place. In the drawings I was trying to figure that out. I decided that there was not as much variety available with simply all evening gowns or all casual dresses without going into too much detail to make them unique. I just let the pencil do what it wanted and I ended with unique dresses.
My first attempt to make the icons came out better with variety so I decided I would go crazy all over the place! At this point I didn’t know what I wanted to do for a color scheme other than the unification idea, but since I went all over the place with the design of each, I narrowed it down to one color. I worked with a couple, but the pink stuck pretty fast. They couldn’t all be one shade of pink so I went with a dark, medium and drastically lighter shade.
I received feedback that I might want to add a little more color or tones of the same shade. I tried change up the way the colors are grouped, but was a little to throw in more color for fear that I would lose the cohesive feel. The end result was twelve different dresses of the hues from before. I made sure that each of the dresses had a background that drew in the leaves from the flowers. I made sure that I added at least two colors on the dresses including the flowers and some detail. I think I followed the objectives that I had initially wanted and hopefully they look like icons!