Lets Go On a Safari! | Vector Paths

For my icon set, I chose to create 12 safari animals. I have never been to Africa, but it is one of my goals in life. In my set, one of my goals was to have them as cartoons, rather than realistic. When my sister was pregnant with her first baby, she decided that the theme of their room was going to be giraffes. After that, it became a tradition for each of her children, to decorate their room based on a different safari animal. With my set, I wanted to create something that could be printed on various items to put in their rooms.

When I first heard of the icon project, my first idea was to do a set of bow hunting equipment, because that is my true passion in life. As I began thinking of ideas and sketching, I realized that there were very many iconic ‘bow hunting’ items without making just camping icons. I then moved to the safari animal idea.

I was first going to do pixelated animals (made solely from squares) but wasn’t sold on that idea. I knew I needed to make them all match in some way so after I drew the elephant, I thought of peanuts and drew them all with matching ‘peanut heads’.

It was hard coming up with 12 different safari animals to make but after a few Google searches, I found more that I could do and sketched them out. After I had finalized my sketches, I began working on the first draft.

I started by designing the animals I knew the best; the elephant, monkey, zebra, and lion. After I had the initial shape of the head down, I copied it to make the other animals. I also used the same eyes and tried to use the same mouth. Originally, I only had circles for the eye but decided to add the white outer part in order to make the icons more detailed and interesting.

 .         

After I turned in the first draft, I received a lot of good feedback. One of the biggest things that I needed to change was the stroke weight. In my draft, each icon had really thin strokes with made them hard to see from far away.

After I made those changes, I made a few more icons and again submitted them for review. I again received feedback that I needed to increase the stroke weight which was surprising, but after I did what they told me to, I could see why. Using thicker strokes made them more cartoonish and more professional looking.

I am really proud of how my final product turned out. I think I did a good job of making them look like something I would want to hang up in my own child nursery and something I am excited to share with my sister. I also think I did a good job at using repetition in the face shape in order to correlate them with each other and make them look like a set.

kileyb2

kileyb2

Technical Assistant at BYU-I Testing Center
kileyb2

Latest posts by kileyb2 (see all)