One Giant Leap for Studentkind
I have to say, I was not sure at all what the creative process for creating a sticker (or three for that matter) was. I doodled a few things here and there and was really coming up empty. Luckily, I doodled something that I thought was really, really cool.
It started with a simple spaceman. I doodled the first few on the top left hand of the page and left them for a few days. After revisiting some sketches I realized how much I liked the moonmen and an idea was born.
This set is perhaps the only time where drafting was a breeze. I could see almost perfectly in my mind exactly what I wanted these stickers to look like. I ended up spending a ton more time in illustrator working than I thought I would but it wasn’t difficult work. It was more about getting what was in my head on the screen. Here was the first result.
The first draft was alright. For the most part it got the idea across really well but was just missing some fine details that would really take it to the next level. With some great critiques from my peers and some help in class, I was able to make the changes needed to make these sticker look less like some fun, goofy illustrations into a sticker set that people could enjoy.
Ta da! This sticker set is something that I really feel proud of because I fee like it really comes across as a personal style of mine. I don’t have my own style yet and I really don’t have enough of a knowledge base to be able to create one of my own yet. However, I feel like this was a great step in the right direction to get me there some day.