My idea for my animation was to have an owl that sings and dances. It sounded like a simple and fun design, but turned out to be a lot more difficult than I thought. My middle image is the first draft of my owl. In critiques my classmates sujested adding texture to the wings and fixing a few tangents. I tried 7 different textures on the wings before deciding on a gradient with small lines referencing the feathers. The third image is the final design that I decided on and started organizing for animation.
In Illustrator, I added my extra elements like an inner mouth and music notes that would appear. I then organized my layers by moving object so it would be easier to alter different parts of my owl and scenery. Bringing it into After Effects, I parented all of my owl body parts that needed it and changed the anchor points of all the elements of the scene. The animation is 12 seconds long, looping with parts that move, rotate, and appear. This project gave me a greater appreciation for Illustrators and those who use After Effects.