This sticker project was a lot of fun to do. I think it might be my favorite of all of the vector projects I’ve done this semester. Here’s a look at how it all went down…


When I started brainstorming for this project I had no clue what direction to go with it, like usual. After doodling random sketches that didn’t seem promising, I asked my husband for some ideas. He told me to do the main characters of the three main gaming systems. I loved the idea.

I knew that Mario was Nintendo’s but I actually had no clue that Sonic and Sega are PlayStation. That was a happy surprise – I grew up playing Sonic games. And for XBOX my main character, he informed me, Master Chief. I really only knew that he was the main character in Halo. My husband had to give me a little background on him. 








I got to work in Illustrator, pulling up photos of Sonic first. He was fairly simple to create, mostly because he already has a very basic design, and I just had to recreate him. With that though, I think I spent about 2 hours getting him right. Here’s Sonic’s first draft.






Next came Mario, I had to use many different graphics to really decide on certain shapes. With Sonic, I used the same angle as one I saw online and liked, but with Mario I created him at a whole new angle. That turned out to be a little more difficult, but not too difficult since Mario is, again, a pretty basic character. Here’s the first draft of Mario.






Master Chief was a lot more difficult to create. I wasn’t nearly as familiar with him and most of the photos I could find were pretty dark. I had a hard time figuring out the exact shape of his helmet and where certain parts went. My first draft ended up very boxy with an unfinished visor. 







I got a lot of great feedback from peers and instructors on this project, but the most helpful source was Cody. My husband told me what needed to be fixed to make my stickers look as close as possible to the original characters. He was a huge help!

I cut back on most of the detail in Master Chief’s visor to give him a simpler design so he would be cohesive with Mario and Sonic. I also lightened up the color I was using, made his helmet less boxy, and gave everything a stroke. I decided against a background for him, mostly because his sword – which is what I would have gone with – is a weird shape that might look a little weird. 

Mario got a question mark box from his games as his background. I also gave him shadows and highlights. He doesn’t have a dark stroke like Sonic, his shadows and highlights are what give him life. So added those in, fixed his moustache and fattened him up just a little. 

Sonic got a ring as his background. I added in his ring after his head so I could have an idea of what size to make it. I used a Gaussian blur to make the shadows and reflections on the ring as well as a few gradients. 


Here is my sticker collection. Let me know what you think!


Page Sias

Page Sias

Student at Brigham Young University - Idaho
Page is a senior studying Communication at BYU-I. She loves reading, napping, taking photos and editing them, and spending time with her husband and puppy. She will graduate in April of 2017.

For more from Page, check out
Page Sias

Latest posts by Page Sias (see all)