THE PROJECT

What an experience this was! This has to be one of my favorite vector projects I’ve undertaken in the time I’ve been working with Illustrator. My main project goal was to create a band gig poster that incorporated elements that help the genre of music show through, as well as a concept to give the poster a meaning. Music is such a huge part of my life and it was super fun to be able to use my creativity to pursue a project that I’m passionate about.

This is a gig poster for a made up band named Sun. The genre of music is punk rock with a sound that is similar to The White Strips, Gorillaz, and Weezer. I’m not going to go into what the meaning of this poster is because I want the viewer to be able to interpret it how they want.

 

SKETCHES

Coming up with the idea for this poster was no easy task; maybe the hardest task of the whole poster. I first needed to create an entire band in my head, who they were, what they wrote about, and what their sound was. After this step I needed a concept, something to make this poster more than just a poster. For this I had to dig deep into the things that I really care about, hate, think need to be changed, ect. The sketches may not look like much at all, but there was a lot of thought that went into them.

DRAFT

After finally deciding on an idea and sketching out a basic composition, it was time to take it all to the screen. I first started playing around with the pen tool, spending a few hours trying to make the skull look right, but nothing was working. It looked way too digital and not organic at all. I was able to get my hands on a pen pad which make things look 100 times better. It’s hard to get a grunge look when the computer makes everything so perfect. I included all the main elements I wanted to incorporate into the design so I could at least get a glimpse of what the final product would look like.

FINAL PRODUCT

After the first draft, I still wasn’t happy with the look so I started again from scratch. I started with the line art first and then added my shadows, mid-tones, and highlights. After creating the skull, I played around with a few different compositions with the orb. After creating the skull I played around with a few different compositions with the orb. Finally, I added the backgrounds and some textures to finish it all off.

I was so pleased with how the poster ended up looking. Starting off this project, I didn’t think I would be able to transfer my vision to the computer the way I did. Working with a pen tablet made all the difference and was a super fun tool to learn. Overall, this project took around 25 hours to complete, but it was so worth it considering how much I learned.

samuelprows

samuelprows

Check me out at Samuel Prows
Samuel Prows is a second year college student attending Brigham Young University-Idaho pursuing a degree in Visual Communication with a module in Web Design. He has a strong passion for photography and design and am persistently seeking out new opportunities to use his creative abilities to benefit the development and success of his employer and himself.
samuelprows

Latest posts by samuelprows (see all)